13 February 2006

Aulas

Today I had the classes of Portuguese for the first time in Salvador. It takes me about 40 to 45 minutes to get the Sheila´s apartment. She has been teaching Portuguese for about 10 years in Salvador. My Portuguese is `bon´but I need to learn the prepositions, conditionals and reflexive verbs mainly.
Staying at Rosa´s has been a great decision. I am practicing a lot of Portuguese with her, her daughter, friends and with other people that are staying at her house. I will be there for a month so I think that if I stay by myself in a hotel I would drive myself crazier. Rosa also has a shop where she sells and fixes `abadas´, which are shirts of different colors that people use to go to certain parties before THE Carnaval. All her clients are women, and yes, you can appreciate the beauty of Brasilian women. I have found, the ones I have been introduced to, very friendly and always helpful to tell you where to go. Sometimes I feel they are flirting but I think is the way they are: warm and attentive with people.
I hope that as I continue to write here, the ideas will come easily and I won´t get overwhelmed by the memories I got since I arrived to Brazil. There are so many already.
There are so many places to go here but I have chosen to spend most of my time at the beach, after all it is summer here so why not? At the same time I want to get tanned and the first signs of sunburn are present on some part of my body. I used sun-block for the first time but the application was not even. I have marks of my fingers on my back and part of my belly. My shoulders didnt´get exposed so my upper back looked like a whippered windshield...I guess this is one of the times I wish I didn´t come alone. The salty water is also good for cuts. I got my first ones playing some beach soccer, although not a big field, just an informal pick-up game, (bate baba). I definetely have gained some weight on the last 4 months in Seattle, I could feel it when I was trying to keep up with these kids...Of course they play all the time and I am not used to play barefoot on the sand. In any rate, it was satisfying to play here, specially when you know ´futebol´is the sport Brazilians breathe, you just don´t want to mess up. They were friendly also, they were actually the ones who called me when they saw me walking alone on the beach at 7pm. `We´ll be here next week, so come´. Yes, I will play with them again.
For now I will go the beach. I can hear it calling my name anytime I turn to my right from this internet restaurant. Perhaps I´ll stay until sunset and if it gets to be as the perfect sunsets you only see on post cards or National Geographic, the ones where the sun turns totally orange and you see exactly half of the circle, no clouds, and as big as almost half of the horizon your eyes can capture, then I would applaud with the rest of the people... as they did last Friday. I saw the perfect sunset.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home