07 May 2006

Peru and Family

As I took the "colectivo" (a station wagon who serves as taxi but to several people, the fee ride is shared among the passengers so it is cheaper than a taxi) my mind was just remembering the days I spent in Bolivia. It was two days short of being a month. To my right the Titicaca lake, still shining and amazing, it gave me a sense that this lake was infinite that it is everywhere. The ride took about fifteen minutes. People from Puno and Copacabana have similar features so I didn´t know if I was travelling with Peruvians or Bolivians. Peru has a lot of people with different backgrounds. People from Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Spaniard, African, etc descents which may confuse anyone including a mere Peruvian. Of course there are the people who look like the Peruvian ancestors, the Inkas, shorter and dark, with straight hair, who makes the majority of the population. But if I may add something, all Peruvians look different but the fact of being born on this land makes it just that : a Peruvian . We all forget where our ancestors came from and a black Peruvian feels as Peruvian as a Peruvian with Chinese background, or Spaniard or anything. It is very, very rare to find a Peruvian who specifies where his /her origins are from. That I like. Of course I also have to add, there is a bigger difference when we talk about social classes, and that brings a whole different issue, which the Peruvian feels more affected by than his/her racial background.
I was dropped at the Bolivian side, Khasani, at the immigration office. They stamped my passport with the "exit" stamp, I walked out about 30 feet and exchanged my Bolivianos for Soles (8 Bolivianos= 3.30 soles= 1 US Dollar) a the store of a man who was also selling chocolates and sodas. I walked then about 200 yards, on an empty road, looking still at the Titicaca Lake, and I saw ahead the Peruvian flag, three vertical stripes, two red on each side and a white one in the middle, waving at the top of a pole. I went ahead then and after getting my passport stamped I took a tricycle, which is the taxi system in this small town of Yunguyo. There are few cars, I imagine a environmentalist would love this place. The gentleman dropped me at one corner where the bus to Puno was heading. I decided to walk a little but seeing the bus almost full I decided to walk back knowing that it will take a lot of time filling out the next bus, which is also the "departure time" on this small towns.
The Titi caca lake was still there, waiting for sunset time. The geography in this part of Peru was similar to the one I saw in Bolivia anytime I was in a bus. The main difference I noticed was that the houses, made mainly of adobe with a type of strong straws were a little more spread out. There were more land and some stores, built with the same material were also painted with graffiti about the presidential elections that are being held now in Peru. The final day will be June 4 between the two finalists: Ollanta Humala and Alan Garcia.
After three hours on the road, I told the driver I was getting of in Chucuito, a small town twenty minutes south of the city of Puno, where the Inca culture also lived in the 1,300´s and where the Spaniards also were present on the 1,500´s to convert the Incas to Catholicism.
I walked towards Las Cabañas, a hostel who belongs to an uncle of mine. This entrance to Peru was the beginning of a different reason for being in Peru. Tourism and visits to family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home