03 March 2006

Saudade...

Carnaval is over, I have lost about 8 pounds just by walking, dancing and partying. Not bad. My skin has also turned almost black, well, very tanned. Considering all the craziness, I was impressed every single day how the streets were so clean after the 8 hours of celebrations. The blocos were crazy and I like the idea of keeping an Abada as a souvenier. I usually don't buy anything when I travel so these shirts will be a great memory of the days I spent here. There were other days when I went Pipoca. This way you get together with some friends and stand by the sidewalk to watch the parade of blocos passing by. Of course it is not a very comfortable way, although it depends where you stand. If the bloco which is passing is very popular and therefore big, you pretty much see, and feel, how the many strangers with a can of beer on their hands, push against whoever is behind you. Everything is sweating so if you have allergies to, or fobia rather, to having your personal space invaded, then you have to be really patient or really drunk to forgive that. It is all part of the great party anyways. On the pipocas you are also exposed to pickpocketers and be REALLY close to a fight that may break because somebody was making his or her way a little rough on somebody else. But again it is all part of this big party, and that is what I missed already....when Brazilians miss something they have saudade....a word, they say, is only brazilian....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home