16 May 2006

Little by little.

Puno is one of those cities on the south of Peru that few people go. I believe the main attraction was Uros. Several islands that are made of straws. You have to take a boat to this place and you see about three or four families living on each island. They are artesans. There is also a elementary school were three teachers are from Uros and two of them commute everyday from Puno. The first night in Chucuito was spent talking with my uncle Juan. I ate trout for the third time that day. He has been involved with communities work for several years so I was just listening to his and his friends´ stories. Next day he showed me around some inca and spaniard ruins. There are some walls made by the Spaniards on 1,780 (I know because the year was also noted on this walls). They look like they are about to fall which is a shame since the conservation of these ruins has not been the best. He, my uncle Juan, has also rescued some stones that he found while building his hostel. It is very interesting to see and know about this but you need to be a person that is very attracted by this type of things and i am not too involved on it. I find it amazing though that I am touching stones that were worked and used six hundred years ago. He took me also to what is called now the fertility temple, but he calls it an invention for the tourists. He says he has gained a lot of enemies in this town of Chucuito for those theories. "But you have tell it like it is" he says. He doesn´t agree that these fallic stones were use to bring luck or it should be used to bring luck to women to get pregnant. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/punoandlaketiticaca/2880027673.html They were symbols of fertility but not in the way this tourist guides mention. There were once part once of walls and now are planted on this field to increase tourism to the area. http://www.llamatravel.com/photo.cfm?photoid=98
I also went to Uros. I suggested the rest of the group to take a little ride on one of the big boats built with straws. I could also see some of the kids rowing small boats after school.
Later on I visited the Yaviri ship This ship is being worked to navigate again and take people, specially tourists, on trips around the lake. It is an english boat that was brought in pieces to the Lake on the 1,800s. By the end of the dayI went out around the plaza and calle Lima. There were several pubs and clubs open. I decided then to go to some of them and talk to the bartenders and/or owners of these bars. There are a lot of bartenders who flirt with the pretty tourists, others try to get some information as to get what is that they are looking for. I was advised to leave my drink on the table. There have been cases when they put something in the drinks and they you ended up in some hotel without your money. It apparently is something to be careful in tourists places in Peru. I say apparently cause even though I was raised here until I was eighteen I haven,t been exposed to those type of situations for a while so I sometimes assume that everything is cool. But little by little a remember or I just make sure I take my drink everywhere I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home