20 July 2006

Time to fly again.

Back in Trujillo to keep eating the great diversity of Peruvian cuisine I spent the last days watching with my brother, who was in standby of his job due to a workers' strike, the World Cup. They were played in regular channel so we just had to wake up early enough to have our marathonic sessions of futbol. Yes, I think I gained some weight. All the restaurants and bars had them on but we chose to stay and watch them at home. Since Peru didn't qualify AGAIN!! we believed the ambiance on these bars where just not there. We saw through TV news a lot of bars in Lima with a lot more life since there were many Brasilians and Ecuadorians in that city so they went out to support their national colors.
Otuzco was the last city outside of Trujillo I visited. It is a two hour ride into the mountains side and a place I never went when I lived inTrujillo. I was just entertained and at awe when i saw some equally beatiful landscapes that I saw in Cusco and some cities in Bolivia and maybe even prettier. "And this was so close to where I used to live?" I asked myself. The town itself is small and at 2,627 meters (8,618 feet) above sea level I felt again the short of breath when walking around and meeting some kids, a drunk and a group of young man getting ready for a party and using a donkey to carry the three cages of beer. (I have the picture, I promise I will post it...). The one plate I was trying to eat and on a proper way was Guinea Pig. I found it here. The entire animal is cooked with cylantro and potatoes and it is served with white rice. It doesn't have a lot of meat but enough to use a fork and knife and then take it with your hands. Yes, some of you may get disgusted or even heart broken for this little animals which are kept as pets but since it is a rodent original from South America, the Incas used them also as food and that custom has remained in this country. All I have to say is that it is nice tasting. As I waited on the intersection of roads along with some vendors to go to yet another higher city I started thinking about the ticket I bought to Spain a couple of days earlier. My mother was to depart to Tampa, Florida USA where one of my brothers is studying English, my other brother was interviewing for a new job in a mine in Lima, my dad trying to stay busy selling his late mother's apartment since he was on advanced retirement but still looking for another job. Europe was to be the next part of my trip. Spain was the cheapest route to Europe, I thought about skipping the traditional tourist road of Spain, France and Italy. I kept thinking about Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home