08 March 2006

First Stop


Tomorrow I will be leaving Salvador. I had great times here. Carnaval, the family I lived with for the whole month, friends I made while in this city, friends that visited from San Francisco. I bought a CD to listen to the songs I danced and drunk with while in Carnaval. I still have the option to stay and take care of Diego's bar at Praia de Flamingo but for now I think I will depart. He doesn't need anyone until May anyways so chances are still there for me to come back to Salvador. For now my mind is in Sao Paolo. My Portuguese has definetely gotten better. There are still some Spanish words I use instead but I think the more I speak the better it gets. It is still strange to see people drinking a lot, I drink too, but people that I imagine are working are having a drink or two, or three on a restaurant at all times. Others play domino on a park while at their lunch break, others just sit around and do their daily tasks. A man who fixes shoes, a lady who prepares Acaraje, a type of fried flour loaf that it is cut on the middle and filled up with shrimp, meat, chicken or veggies. It is very heavy on the stomach and it is not recommended to eat more than two at once. The vendors on the beach selling cheese, which they burn a little so one can eat it hot, cold beer, which you can take it as you walk on the beach, streets or even another restaurant. "Sem problema" (with no problem). Those little things that sometimes I am not used to or simply I forgot I saw it when living in Peru. What I like the most is that when needing lunch I had the options of paying 20 reais for a meal in a nice place, with nice tables and music or crossing the street and paying 5.50 reais for the same meal and a coke, of course you give up the music and waiter on a suit and the food is brought by the lady who cooked it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having a great time, make sure you take lots of photos on your great adventure..

Curtis

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home