25 March 2006

That was the reason...maybe

Taking the last Caipirinhas and Caipiroscas in Corumbá was satisfying. After that long ride it was better to take a shower, get some beers and good dinner. 4 bucks for 5 big pieces of grill meat, rice, salad and yuca. This last is really good. It is kind of a potato but white and it grows long. You have to boil it to eat. You can always fried after you boil it if you wish and can add some garlic and salt. Good stuff. Next morning after getting frustrated at my luck, I was the first one up of the group and the last one ready, only because I decided to go to the bathroom downstairs and the lady who worked there took the longest bath ever. I, sometimes, run to the second floor to see if it was available but anytime I got there it was someone using it. I couldn´t time properly. After venting with my trip partners we walked the 8 blocks to the immigration office, got our passports stamped with no problems and came back to town to wrap things up and go to the border. We were ready at 9:45 am and we wanted to take the 7pm train. There is one at noon but it has no AC and gets to Santa Cruz - Bolivia next day at 9 am. We also knew the tickers for the one 7 sold fast so we wanted to pick our stuff and go the Bolivia as soon as possible and make time over there.
We missed the 9:45am bus to the border so we stayed at the bus stop until 10:30, for the next one. To our surprise the 10:30 bus showed up,dropped to passengers and took off right on our faces. I run, screamed, whistled and banged the bus rear. Nada. I still don´t know why the driver didn´t take us. I used again the portuguese i was studying in Salvador for the whole month of February and got a taxi to take us to the border. 15 reais compare to 7 that all would have paid if taking the bus. But of course a lot faster by taxi. Our surprise was even bigger when we got to the train station and our relief sensation turned into desperation and a little bit of preocupation when we found out there were no more tickets to the 7pm train. We rapidly run to the second floor after being told that the noon train, the Expreso del Oriente, was about to take off. We had no choice, we didn´t want to wait another day so we gave our passports for identification and were conducted to a wagon. We were about to take the so called ´Train of Death´ they say people used to travel on the roof of this train and many would fall dying on the ground with the impact.
The fact is that we were about to ride this train for 21 hours,with no AC, something that I am already very use to when I travel for more that two ours, unless I am driving. But considering the temperatures here, AC is quasi a must. At least we were on our way to SAnta Cruz, perhaps that was the reason the bus to the border didn´t pick us up. If we took it, we wouldn´t have been able to depart that day from Corumbá

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work Dude. I read all your blogs. Good to hear from you. I never got your e-mail before you left, so I was hoping you would send one. Keep in touch and stay safe.
-Bob

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home