29 July 2006

Zizu (zee-zoo)

I think I will return to Spain to spend more time. My focus was now in Berlin and the World Cup. This massive event categorized as the biggest sport event captivates more than 2 billion people around the globe every four years. In Berlin the atmosphere was enthusiastic, I got there when Germany beat Argentina and advanced to the third round (there are four rounds before reaching the final game). As I emerged from the subway cars, bicycles and motorcycles were driving around the city blowing their horns and waving their germans flags. After booking in the hostel I decided to go out a couple of blocks and the streets were still celebrating. A bar had put a big screen on the sidewalk so people watched the game again as we all drank beers on the street, which by the way it is also allowed anyday and anytime in Germany. The following days I went to other bars to watch other games the atmosphere was a lot different when Germany lost agains Italy on the 4th round putting the Italians on the final game and Germany for the game for the third place, there were no waving flags this time. I did some tourism as well so I went and visited the Berlin wall and a concentration camp, Sacsenhausen. I pictured the Berlin wall as a thick, tall wall, but it was thin and apparently easy to climb. Of course things changed when you have two walls (an internal and an external one) before trying to cross and guards that monitor the walls. Sacsenhausen was though a lote more intriguing and I felt a cold wind on the 32 celsius (96 F)degree weather going through my body while standing and watching the camp, the guards towers, the rests of the electrical cables used as fence around the camp, the torture sites, the "hospital" and the exhibition of pictures and biographies of people who lived here either as workers or prisoners. I think though that the Germans have done a great job putting this past behind to build a new society.
A friend who I met in Sao Paolo told me she was working with the ticketing office in Munich so she knew I was coming to Germany. She told me she would try to get me a ticket but it was nt for sure so I decided to left Berlin and took a bus to Munich. The day had a great return on my investment. I got in for the France-Portugal game...for free. The winner of this game would go to the final game and play the Italians. I couldn't believe my eyes when watching these star players on the pitch. I was used to see them on TV. Zinedane (Zizu) , Henry, Ronaldo, Figo, Vieira, Makalele, Deco...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sie sind ein preiswerter bastard

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home