01 August 2006

Catching up

I finally can catch up with the time on this blog. I spent a whole week in Copenhagen and I am already seeing that my dollars, euros and krones are draining away. I am still amazed to see so many people riding bikes to work, to bars, to supermarkets not just for exercising. I mean. I am talking about over 50% of people using bikes instead of driving cars to commute. Well, distances are a lot shorter than in the US and the roads safer than in Peru and the cities have special trails for the bikes. Even intercity roads. I met a couple of guys from Finland who rode from Stockholm (Sweden) to Copenhagen (Denmark) in seven days (630km, 391 miles) taking several breaks of course but they told me they could have made it on 3 days.
I enjoyed the man-made beach in Almagor. 2006 is its first year opening. It is weird not to see palm trees or little bars along the beach but I heard something that they want to keep it like it. Who knows if the situation will be the same as the years come. The sand is not real sand, it is gravel so it gives even a bigger feeling of an artificial beach. The water is cold and nice and to add to the artificial status, you can see some windmills no too far from the shore. These huge slow-motion fans looked like monsters that are about to become alife and walk around the waters. I did go to Ishog a more natural beach and then to Helsingor were a massive castle (Kromborg) lies by the tip of Denmark from where you can see Sweden (city of Helsinborg to be precise).
One of the attractions in Copenhagen is to check the "Little Mermaid", a sculpture from 1913 that, many say, gives an idea or the sensation she is thinking about jumping.
I hung out with the rest of travellers the rest of the days and walked along strips of restaurants and Crystiania and did some BBQ to save money. Crystiania is a small neighbohood in Copenagen where several type of drugs can be found but I thought it has been adjusted a little bit to the tourists. It is still has its own character though but police did their rounds since consuming drugs in Copenaghen remains illegal. I friend told me he might be able to hook me up with a job but things didn't work out so I decided to leave town before I keep spending the money in one place. To finish this entry I also enjoyed watching a Triathlon event which was won by a French athlete. Pierre Dorez. I am not familiar with this sport at all but he swam 1,5km (0,93miles), rode the bike for 40km (24,85 miles) and then run 10K(6,2 miles) all in one hour 54 minutes. His first 5K run he made it on 15 minutes after swimming and biking!!!. As Martin Lawrence would say: "That's krazy".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wazzuuppp

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home