19 August 2006

bye for now

The sky started to look a little 'bluer' so I decided to put the rest of my clothes on top of my rain poncho. Clear skies, orange on one side, no wind, only the sounds of my steps I could hear and my breathing for hiking a couple of hundred meters to the peak of Norra Storfjallet. The light of the rising sun hit my eyes, the glaciers down below mostly covered by a dense white cloud was as the 'bed' in case I fell. I just sat inches away from the clif and watched. By the end of this entry you'll see two pictures of this morning and two of the evening before. I was alone for a good time watching this marvelous view. I knew nobody would show for a very good time. Sunrise must have been around four in the morning for these lands for being so north and during summer time.
After a while then I walked down to the next cabin and after three hours I made it at nine in the morning. People was having breakfast. I felt like having lunch. I bought some canned meat and cooked the rice I was carrying in my bag. Talked to some people and then took a nap. I began my walk back to tarnaby at midday. It was another nine hours walked by this time the land was flat and dry. The day was sunny and the snow mountains were just impressive to my right side. I saw several deers, like the Rudolph type. I crossed some rivers without shoes, I got water from the creeks and drank it. I saw some campers but they were still sleeping of perhaps already out. The signs for snowmobiles make me just imagine how this place would be at winter. Maybe I try that too in the future, but I am not too much of winter person.
By nine o'clock I was back at the hostel. Matt told me he didn't expect me too soon. What I did can not be topped even by an extra week, I said. He quickly mentioned that they needed help organizing their hostel (www.tarnabylapland.com he has dared to mention me on his page) for a big biking event the following week. So they offered me bed and food for three days if I could help. After a beer I went to sleep. Next day we started working and my legs gave me some 'shaking' on and off during the day.
I named the earlier entries as six months minimo I and II because on the seventh of August when I got to Tarnaby was exactly six months since I left the US and the eight of August, when I spent the night on the top of Norra Storfjallet, was exactly six months after I got to Salvador-Brasil for the beginning of this trip. Nothing was planned to be here at this time. But I like to think about this coincidence.
I don't know how much longer I will be travelling now. After my hike I went to Bergen in NOrway to visit Pia and Ellen whom I met in Rio de Janeiro. They are beginning college now. Young girls full of energy and motivation. I stayed with them for a week and we had a great time. Went out with their friends, went to the house of a classical music composer (Edvard Greig), did a hike to a mountain and met other people. Now I am back in Stockholm after I quick stop in Oslo. I am making the route back. I still want to stop in Holland and later on perhaps in Italy, but I am not certain yet. I won't write on this blog as often now. I will take time for me now before heading back to the US.
Thanks for reading and for the comments. I appreciate all of them and please feel free to write me at jtello02 at hotmail.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hej hej ! Going back so soon ? What happened to you working in Stockholm for a few months ? I see that you tamed down your stories of Lapland for your blog . Selective memory no doubt or possibly death-of-brain-cell(s)-by-cognac !
It's been a very busy week. Lindy cooked up a wonderful buffet meal for an Insurance Company of 30 last night. She's incredible. All went very well. I put my apron on and felt what it was like to be Manuel for a night ! We had Coffee and drinks in the new building . I managed to knock that hole in the wall between the kitchen and lounge room that I was telling you about, just in time for the function ... Yes the bar is un-officially open !

We're totally full for the next week with 3 apartments booked out aswell. Why aren't you here helping ! We have a sauna party at the end of the week ( in the 'barrel-bastu') so it's a shame you're not here for that also.

Well matey, hope you have a safe trip back home . Keep up that infectious smile of yours and your zest for life. Hope to see you back this way soon ...

P.s To your readers and friends .. and friends to be ... Yes he's a cheap F%%%king B%%%%rd !
But he's bloody generous when he's drinking cognac !

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Antonio,
Thank your for sharing all of this!! I am happy that I get to live vicariously through you! I hope to be able to do the same for others some day.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tonio. Yesterday night your blog was in spanish.Today in english so I,ve read a bit about your night in Lappland and can feel the mood. Like your pictures also, beautiful views and of course a scilled cameraman. It was nice meeting you and talking to such a verbal and energetic man. Dick (from the litle island Skeppsholmen in the midle of Stockholm).

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home